First of all, I am so happy that to say, I am confidence the toilet training is done! It has been only 6 weeks and It has some up & downs but, I am so glad to bye bye litters. I have to say tho a few things for the cat owners consider to do toilet training with your cat.
1. BEFORE START IT, pls make sure, you know your cat. After my own expensive lesson, I would not recommended this toilet training for a newly cat owner. make sure you know at least….
- What food the cat like
- What time the cat eat, and how much
- When they go toilet after eating…
Probably, I spent $400 vet bill to find out, what was happening with my cat. I just had my spice, and did not know much about her, then started this toilet training straight away. She did very well to follow, but, even before settling down to the new place and new food and new owner and this strange tray must made her stressed out. She only ate one tiny canned food a day and she was not pooping for days and days and had some blooding from her bottom, bcoz, the poops getting so hard and it was tearing up her bottom, poor thing… I had to go vet visits several times, to find out why she was not eating much and blooding. we had lots of test and xray stuff…. This is my confession, this toilet training might be too hash for new cats for new home. I just want cats settle down first to the new home & new enviroment.
2. BEFORE START IT, pls make sure, cat is comfortable with using disposable Litter, like a pelleted cat litter made from recycled newspaper. Otherwise, during this training, you will have difficult time to unblocking your loo. it is because, cats like to scratch the place for the big business and after it, they want even more scratch. it might ok until 2 step, actually has a hole in the middle. But if you used normal clay Litter or clumping Litter, when it fall to the loo ball, that is not good situation there… hum… no…. also, I tired crystal Litter, it was not that good either, bcoz, my cat did not like the texture on her paws, so did not go on the training tray at all, and just play around with the crystals hours & hours…
3. WATCH OUT FOR THE FIRST DAYS, when I changed the tray for the next steps, my spice hagitated it and holding up it days. I can share a few tricks with you.
- Start the new tray/new step during a weekend, so, u have more time to watching out the cat
- You would give to them normal litters whatever the cat likes the best. so they feel comfortable and knows that new tray is the new place to do the business
- Watch out her bathroom timing. I found out when the bathroom time is so close, my spice go and find the litter package I was hiding it, then, smell it and trying to get into them. Then, if it happens, bring your cat into the bathroom and close the door and stay there and wait patiently with them. they might even try to do the business in the bath tub or sink, but, grab quickly but gently and place them into the toilet tray. I found out, once they do the business in the right place, the tray, then, the next time, you do not need to worry.